Dates & Times
Friday, May 15 5:00pm-8:00pm
Saturday, May 16 10:00am-5:00pm
Sunday, May 17 11:00am-3:00pm
Limited to 8 people
Soul Journey Health
12211 W. Alameda Pkwy., Suite 104
Lakewood, CO 80228
Visionary Artist & Author
Explore Sonya’s motion-picture inspired Creative Process, which we’ll use in the workshop!
In this 3-day workshop, we will learn what goes into digital photo art, starting with your original vision and source photos through the final rendering of a composited digital masterpiece. We’ll explore composition, symbolism & meaning, and Photoshop techniques including masks, blend layers, lighting effects, atmosphere, painterly perspective, and artistic style. You will learn cinematic approaches to taking photos and creating a body of artwork.
Our focus will be on digital art tools and workflow. We’ll use powerful Photoshop tools to express your vision. Please note that this workshop is NOT a marathon Photoshop training session—meaning, we won’t be skimming over every single tool in Photoshop. Instead, you will come away with deeper skills in specific areas of Photoshop. Most importantly, you’ll gain a thorough understanding of a cinematic approach for making art that has more power, depth, meaning, and beauty.
Who Should Take This Class
- photographers who are passionate about creating digital images
- digital artists with a vision for an individual piece or body of work
- Photoshop enthusiasts who want to learn cinematic techniques for making photo-based art
- digital photographers wanting to master surreal effects and deepen their artistry
- those proficient in Photoshop who want to better their skills and approach
Please bring your own:
- laptop running Photoshop
- your tablet and stylus for best results (optional)
- snacks, water or beverage
You will need your own digital photos and/or legally obtained stock/public domain photos, including:
- studies & principle photos of your main subject
- background elements
- props & visually symbolic elements
- special effects including light patterns, water, smoke, flames & sparks, etc.
- finishing textures such as canvas, parchment, stone, concrete, grunge, etc.
Discover how to evolve your source photo through cutting masks, adding adjustment and blend layers, hand-painted special lighting effects, and surface finishing to a digital masterpiece.
FRIDAY – CINEMATICS OF DIGITAL ART
- focusing your artistic vision
- overview of the digital art workflow
- public domain & royalty-free image sources
- composition basics
- a cinematic approach to photography
- working with talent & property
SATURDAY – COMPOSITING
- techniques for masking
- controlling scale, perspective, and image space
- handing layers and layer groups
- enhancing mood with adjustment layers
- working with special visual effects (VFX)
SUNDAY – CONVINCING SURREALISM
- integrating elements with lighting & color
- key & secondary light& accurate cast shadows
- techniques for increased realism
- simulating different photographic looks
- artistic style & finishing techniques